17 July, 2013

Repurposing Kindle's Gelaskin

I kept the Gelaskin from my replaced Kindle:

Since it wasn't likely to get any use, I resized it to fit a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. It's slightly bigger, but has some holes because of the cutouts.
First, I trimmed it to size using a knife and metal ruler, on a wooden board. Next, I positioned it on the surface and felt for the camera, then marked that position. I wasn't very accurate, so the camera hole is bigger than necessary. After that, I stuck it down in sections, cutting away the backing (oh I used a plastic bag for the backing).

For the ports, I just cut 2 perpendicular lines to the edge, then cut them out. This resulted in sharp corners and overcuts. It's not very good, but the material is quite tough and not transparent so it won't be a problem.

I rounded the corners with a nail clipper. First time trying this. It was quite round, but didn't match the device well. Also, this device has curved edges, so it's very hard to stick to the entire corner. I made a notch and overlapped the skin a bit.


I think my biggest dissatisfaction is the edges and corners - the most vulnerable places - aren't protected.

Removing the Gelaskin

The Gelaskin also claims to be easily removable without leaving any residue, as any good protector should. I don't think many people actually test this.
Well, the good news is, it performs as claimed and CAN be removed by simply peeling it off, and it doesn't leave any residue. But it sticks quite strongly and is hard to peel off.

No comments:

Post a Comment