28 April, 2011

invisibleSHIELD for iPad 2

I've wanted to try the invisibleSHIELD ever since I saw their promotional picture. A self-healing skin that can resist penetration by a pen is the kind of protection I want for my gadgets. The company also seemed as obsessed with protection as I am. After considering it for my laptop and phone, I finally decided to try it on my iPad 2.
First, the version I bought was "Full Body". With that name you'd expect it to cover everything, right? Unfortunately, it doesn't cover the crucial corners.
This is a major fail for a protection device. The corners and edges are most in need of protection (see the iPhone 4 bumper). This may be because the iPad 2's shape is very hard to cover - the Gelaskins for it do not cover the corners as well (as an aside, Gelaskins are easy to apply, look good, customisable and immune to dust and air bubbles, since they aren't transparent).
Another problem is that, as you can see, it covers the SIM card slot. I'll have to peel the shield back a bit to change the SIM card. The good thing is it covers where the Smart Cover attaches, which prevents scratches from the Smart Cover hinge. It works with the Smart Cover, with 1 problem: the extra friction prevents the Smart Cover from aligning automatically. It'll jump and stick, but it may stick slightly askew and remain that way.

The other problem is that it's ridiculously hard to apply. Even the videos teaching you how to apply it demonstrate using 2 people. I also think it's a bad idea using so much water around your device, especially one with water detecting stickers.
  • Poor coverage
  • Hard to apply
  • Works with Smart Cover

2 comments:

  1. your shield does not cover corners properly because you bought easy install not maximum coverage. do your research!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting. As you can see from my picture, it says "Full Body". Nowhere does it say "easy install" or "maximum coverage". Maybe Zagg should add more detail to their packaging.

    ReplyDelete